Have you ever wanted to do sparkler photography? This guide will teach people using sparklers at weddings and other events how to take stunning sparkler photos!
First, you will want to decide what wedding sparklers are right for you!
When purchasing sparklers for your wedding photos there are a few important things you should keep in mind. Make sure you are buying "wedding sparklers." True wedding sparklers are made of metal and are not the same as the standard firework sparkler.
Wedding sparklers are smokeless. This means that smokeless sparklers produce 75% less smoke than a traditional sparkler. They also do not drop material on the ground. Wood handled or traditional sparklers often drop material as it burns that could burn skin or clothes, disastrous around a wedding dress! Make sure to order a smokeless wedding sparkler that has crisp brightness. When your photographer starts shooting your sparkler photos you'll both be glad you remembered these simple tips and purchased the best wedding sparklers!
Second, how to set up to photograph the sparklers
You will need to write with sparklers backwards in order for it to read correctly on camera. However, if you forget to do this for your sparkler pictures, you can correct it in Photoshop by flipping the image. Also, make sure to set the camera far enough back, to fit the entire word in the picture.
Place the camera on long exposure or night mode and begin taking your sparkler photos! The possibilities for your wedding sparkler pictures are endless; you are only limited by the amount of sparklers you get and your own imagination! With these tips, you are for sure going to have the best sparkler writing photos you could ever imagine.
LET’S TALK MATERIALS
- DSLR camera (A phone will not work)
- 20 inch wedding sparklers
- Family or Friends
After you have gathered all of your materials, set up your tri-pod and camera outside. You must take the photographs in the dark in order for the camera to be able to capture the light from the sparklers. Your camera setting should be similar to the ones below:
- Manual Mode: Your camera needs to be set to manual mode not Automatic.
- Aperture: Around f/9. The higher the aperture the more defined your sparklers will be.
- Shutter Speed: 10-30 seconds. You need to write your message before the shutter closes. This will be trial and error so take your time to find the best shutter speed.
- Flash: Manually set out bursts of light or put camera in REAR Curtain mode. This means that the flash will go off right before the shutter closes. If your camera does not have this mode; no worries!
Here is what you want to do for sparklers photography:
- Set-Up: Set up your tri-pod and camera in a dark setting. Any street or porch lights will affect the final photo.
- Come up with ideas: Are you going to draw words, make images, or stand with the sparklers?
- Positions: Figure out who is going to stand at the camera and who is going to write with the sparklers.
- Getting Ready: When you are ready, double check to make sure that your settings are set like the ones above and get your flash ready if you are using it.
- During the Photos with Sparklers: Countdown how many seconds are left for the people to draw the image so they do not run out of time.
- Using the Flash: When they are done, if you want them to come out in the image, have them pose and shine the flash on them quickly before the shutter closes.
Look at your photograph and adjust your settings to your liking!
Repeat the steps above if you want to redo or try out another idea.
Extra Sparkler Wedding Photo Information
If you draw slowly with your sparkler, the lines will appear thicker in the image. The faster you draw the thinner the lines will be.
Without a flash, the background will be black and you will only be able to see the light trails.
Using Sparklers at Weddings
People using sparklers at weddings or for other events should know how to take these fun photos! If you are looking to do some sparkler photography for your wedding, buy your sparklers from Wedding Sparklers Outlet. Are you looking for some ideas for your wedding? Check out what some of our customers have done with our sparklers and their sparkler wedding pictures! We offer low-smoke sparklers that will make your photos and wedding day sparkle!
COPYRIGHT 2022 WEDDING SPARKLERS OUTLET. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. DESIGNED BY NOTCH SOLUTIONS.