How to Use Sparklers Safely
Children under the age of 12 should not use sparklers without very close adult supervision.
- Show children how to hold sparklers away from their bodies and at arm’s length.
- Never hold a child in your arms while using sparklers.
- Always remain standing while using sparklers.
- Never hold, or light, more than one sparkler at a time.
- Sparklers and bare feet can be a painful combination. Always wear shoes when using sparklers.
- Sparkler wire and stick remain hot long after the flame has gone out. Be sure to drop the spent sparklers directly in a bucket of water.
- Never hand a lighted sparkler to another person. Never throw sparklers.
- Lit sparklers should never be held near the clothing, body, or face of another person.
- Never bring the burning sparkler in close contact with any other material, as it will leave scorch marks or possibly ignite the material.
These safety tips are courtesy of the National Council on Fireworks Safety.
Sparkler Lighting Instructions for a Successful Send-off
Follow the instructions below on how to best light your sparklers for a successful wedding exit or send-off.
- Make sure to have a butane or barbecue lighter. The safest lighters are the ones where the flame is away from your hand. DO NOT use matches to light sparklers. They do not burn long enough to raise the heat of the sparkler material to light.
- Line the guests up in two rows, lining where the bride and groom are going to walk. Pass out one sparkler to each person, DO NOT have more than one sparkler in hand at a time.
- The best way to light multiple sparklers in a short amount of time is to light one sparkler with a butane lighter and then use that sparkler to light other sparklers. Have 2-3 people be the designated lighters.
- Have designated lighters, and light their sparklers off of the butane lighter. Once their sparklers are lit they can start moving down the rows touching their sparkler to the other guest sparklers. Sparklers lit by other sparklers will light almost instantly.
- Light sparklers are always on the tip, furthest away from the wire handle.
- Dispose of used sparklers in the bucket of sand or water.
Looking to add something exciting to your next event? See our large selection of specialty sparklers at Wedding Sparklers Outlet.